Boroughmuir 1st XV 22 points Hillhead Jordanhill 1stXV 32 points 

A lively opening burst from Hills at the wonderfully appointed Meggetland Stadium saw the visitors race into an 18-3 lead after 20 minutes which their hosts pulled back to 18-10 by the mid point of the game. Reinvigorated by the half time interval, Hills turned on the after burners to extend their lead to 32-10 after 70 minutes. But Boroughmuir then rallied to eat into Hills margin but not sufficiently to provide a losing bonus point, finishing 10 points adrift, with Hills claiming 5 league points, 4 for the win an d 1 for scoring 4 tries.

The opening quarter was all Hills with their continuity rugby and fierce engagement both in attack and defence. This intensity produced 2 early penalty chances both in the home 22 which stand-off and captain, Rory Harte converted easily. Another penalty kick for goal was sacrificed for a “forward rumble” which, after 4 phases of play, resulted in Lewis Lightbody moving his substantial frame at speed over the try line to claim his first League score for Hills. This was converted and the visitors were now 13 – 3 ahead and added to that with a well driven close range lineout maul from which the perennial chief burrower, hooker Harry Perston, forced his way over to score. To their credit, the hosts fought back well to record a converted try to leave them one score adrift at the interval.

The bulk of the second half belonged to the visitors who made light of the loss of influential loose head prop, Nlall Hall, with a broken nose. Key performances from full back, Sean Black, in the loose, Rory Harte at 10 with his game management and expert 50-22 kicks and no.8, Ryan Reilly, with determined ball carrying and skillful touch line work ensured the hosts had few answers to Hills all round excellence. Man of the match, Reilly, scored a close range driven try which Harte converted. Then an outstanding piece of interplay involving Harte, sub Matt Henderson, Reilly and again Rory Harte who grubber kicked through the advancing defence set up Sean Black. The full back showed fine footballing skills and pace in a kick and chase to touch down for Hills 4th and bonus point try. Rory Harte converted and that was the visitors comfortable at 32-10.

Fair play, however, to Boroughmuir who were stung into action to come back well to 32-22 but they had left themselves too much to do in too short a time. The game concluded with the admirable match referee, Mary Pringle – no yellow cards and little dissent – blowing for no side, after Rory Harte had narrowly failed with a 45 metre penalty chance.

Hills are next up against Howe of Fife away at Cupar on Saturday October 28th with a 15.00 KO.

Leave a comment

Other News