Gordonians 1st XV 20 points Hillhead Jordanhill 1st XV 15 points

Playing away against the National League 3 leaders was always going to be a hard shift, but Hills should have done better than return home with only a losing bonus point given Gordonians played for some 55 minutes with only 14 men, one of their forwards having been red carded.

The game was a fairly grim, hard fought encounter on a beautifully manicured Countesswells surface. There were few line breaks and midfield defences were generally on top, with Hills Scott Halliday excelling in keeping the opposition in check. When Hills stand off and captain, Rory Harte, decided to use his kicking boot to good effect and play the game in the Gordonians red zone, HIlls looked the part with quick engagement and pressing. This tactic worked well for Hills first try when Harte sensed a gap on the home blind side, ran hard for the line with fullback, Damien Genocchio, in support to touch down. Gordonians came back well and profited from a mistake in the visiting defence after a line out to move the ball wide and score. The try was converted and now Gordonians were 7-5 up, but their lead did not last too long , as left winger, Fionn Whyte, scored in the corner after a series of short range attacks. Rory Harte converted and Hills were looking comfortable at 12-7 up, but indiscipline, back chat after a penalty award, allowed Gordonians an easy penalty chance, on the stroke of half time, which they converted.

The second half offered Hills few opportunities and when these came along, any attacking continuity was compromised by a misfiring lineout. Inexorably Gordonians, making light of their numerical disadvantage, kept the pressure on Hills and first a penalty was converted followed by a try which was again goaled. It looked like Hills, despite all their efforts, were about to leave Aberdeen empty handed, but then the “Ginger Flash” , no 15 Damien Genocchio, intervened. Fielding a ball on his own 22, he jinked and swerved his way through the opposition ranks, only to be halted some 15 metres away from the home try line. Some 3 phases later, Hills won a penalty in front of the home posts, which Rory Harte converted. The final whistle blew and Hills had just about earned their bonus point.

A big step up will be required from the Hills squad for their next league game in Kirkwall, Saturday 29th October, vs ORKNET RFC with a 14.00 KO. ( Travelling ) supporters will be made very welcome.

Leave a comment

Other News